It’s hard to think back and remember what life was like without the Sunday Scaries. I think they came about differently in high school, with different kinds of responsibilities and homework to dread over (oh how I’d pay to go back to that). Then when you enter the working world, Sundays tend to be one of two things: laying in bed hungover because you went aggressively hard with the alcohol to combat the M-F workday stress, or just feeling miserable because there are days of work ahead of you and new stressors that will likely come about. I think we all can agree that the weekends never feel long enough… or like we’ve had enough time to recuperate.
I had a recent breakdown to my mom about a month ago on the phone (for those who don’t know- I’m from Pennsylvania, currently live in NYC), of course on a Sunday. The reasoning? There really wasn’t one. I think the Sunday Scaries tend to pull thoughts out of you where you’re like, “why am I trying to figure out my life plan for the next ten years?” or “will I ever make enough money to feel financially secure?” Seriously, kind of bogus thoughts compared to what runs through my mind on other days.
Props to my incredible mom who always has the best advice, but sometimes the most powerful revelations I have had are when I write about it – so may have taken a month, but here we are. I’ve come up with my top tips below on how to avoid the Sunday Scaries that I’m hoping can make yours a little less painful:
- Fresh Air is the Best Air: Ok, maybe you had one too many shots last night, or you woke up feeling kind of dreadful. Getting outside at some point, I’ve found, helps me tremendously, whether it’s going for a short walk or even running to Starbucks to grab a coffee. Something about the fresh air (debatable if it’s really fresh in NYC) makes me feel a little rejuvenated and more energized.
- Lists, Lists, Lists: I know you may be thinking, god another list? I do this all week for work! This specific tip helps me put my stressors onto a piece of paper, and I’m able to take a step back and realize what I need to prioritize. And even if you have some extra time, you could get ahead on some of them! The beauty of simply crossing off something on your to-do list can make you feel hella accomplished, even if was just shaving your pits 🙂
- At Home Spa: It’s still the weekend, and you still can feel relaxed. I love to save some of my best pamper routines for Sunday, whether that be a deluxe hair mask or body exfoliator. Put on some relaxing music (I do love the “Spa Music” playlist on Spotify – linked here! ) and treat yourself like you’re at a spa!
- Treat YoSelf and YoBelly: Food, who doesn’t look forward to it? I sure do – so that’s why I usually will indulge with my favorite food (aka pizza or a burger) on Sunday nights. It gives you something to look forward too, on a night where you likely are miz thinking about your responsibilities!
- Plan Your Workouts: Sunday’s are usually my rest day (where I likely will do my hardest workout on Saturday mornings – weird I know) so regardless if I’m hungover or not, I just kind of feel like a slob of shat, but just the simple idea of planning out my workouts for the week almost gets me excited to exercise (ewww..?? lol who am I?) trust me- I’m no fitness guru but this has turned into kind of a challenge for me, and the best feeling is looking back on that week and seeing how much you’ve done!
Like I said earlier – I really hope some of you can take these tips and apply them the next time your feeling shitty on a Sunday. Hope you enjoyed – and if you have any more tips, would love to hear in the comment section below!
Have a great week everyone 🙂